The Reason For This Blog

I have been scouring the internet for what people are calling 'hacks', bassically modifications, for my notebook so i could turn it into a functional and organized paper version of a pocket pc type thingy. i have for the past one and a half years been using small notebooks, bits of paper and parts of my mobile phone to accomodate my many needs so this year i decided to try and fit it all into one thing, a moleskine notebook. only one problem. none of the hacks i found were exactly what i needed, so i decided that i would take the best ideas and put them to the test and see what i came up with for the final version. the outcome of this is what the blog follows, The Evolution Of My Moleskine.

Saturday 8 March 2008

Previously in the world of notebooks

Lets just say that over the years I have used different notebooks, bits of paper and mobile phones to organise and keep track of the important stuff in my life. None of these have really worked all that well. The only things that have been constant throughout is the need to take notes and write things down which was always done via notebooks or paper scraps I found lying about and then transfer them to the notebook, this would have worked apart from the fact that I always bought A5 notebooks which dont fit in your pockets, the other constant things were the need to keep track of the when and where's of my days so I knew where to be and a what time I had made appointements and the like. there is also the storing information like phone numbers and e-mail's. These were always done via my mobile phone (always a sony ericsson.)

So to solve the problem of pocket storage I got hold of an A6 spiral bound notebook with a plastic cover on front and back, this new notebook also came with an elastic closure which I came to see as one of life's little ingenious inventions, I basically used it to hold the list of tasks I had set out for the day on the front of the notebook (occasionally it held shopping lists too.) Another little nifty idea in this notebook was that all the pages were perforated so I could use them if I had to write something down for someone and hey presto give them a little note! There was bad points though. Yhe metal spiral that held the pages, yes it could hold a pen in there, but they alwaqys get squashed and bent out of place which then stops the pages turning properly and it got way too irritating after a bit so it had to go. And then there was the garish bold colored plastic covers, always red, blue or green!

This is when I discovered the (big fanfare here) Moleskine! What a dream of a notebook, elastic enclosure, thread bound pages, acid free unbleached paper, pocket in the back, nice hard cover and damn sexy too.

This is where the journey truly began.

No comments: